Horse Clinics and S.T.A.R.R. Training
These half day classes are designed to give the basic information about horses including information about their daily maintenance needs and care. These classes also give an overview of Natural horsemanship and help to dispel old myths and methods.
HORSE 101 - This 3 hour class is a good introduction for beginners and a great brush-up lesson for intermediate and advanced horse handlers.
- The history of horses and how they think
- Safety around horses
- Basic horse care including: feeding, hoof care, veterinary care, common ailments
- Breeds, colors and markings
- Basic anatomy of a horse
- Proper horse terminology
Intro to S.T.A.R.R. - This 4 hour class combines both class time and hands-on time with horses. This Class follows Horse 101 and goes into more detailed information on natural horsemanship and training. You must have attended Horse 101 to attend this class.
- Introduction to natural horsemanship
- Advanced safety skills
- Training techniques including: proper approach, pasture etiquette, proper corrections
- Hands on Training stations covering grooming, hoof cleaning, tying and haltering, leading, and pasture safety
- Horse 101 is held on one Saturday of each month from 9am- 12pm
- Intro to S.T.A.R.R is held on one Saturday of each month from 9am-1pm.
- Classes will start promptly at 9, so please arrive with enough time to be checked in and seated.
- Check the Events page for upcoming classes.
- Call the office at (916) 941-0800 to sign up for any of the classes.
- Cost for horse 101 and Intro to STAR is FREE to Grace volunteers.
- Cost to Non- Grace volunteers: $50.00 per session.
S.T.A.R.R. NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP TRAINING
Natural horsemanship is the philosophy of working with horses by appealing to their instincts and herd mentality. It involves communication techniques derived from observing horses in the wild in order to build a partnership that resembles the relationships that exist between horses. Through her years of working with abused and neglected horses, Beth DeCaprio, Founder and Executive director of The Grace Foundation has developed a training technique combining the four essential components needed to becoming a Star Trainer: Safety, Trust, Acceptance, Respect, Relationship. Beth has taken her love for working with children and youth to help develop the S.T.A.R.R. training, making this a program designed for all ages and levels of horse handlers.
For information about these classes call the ranch at (916)941-0800 or email email@example.com